Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2012

What is "Normal" anyway?

I have said so many times, " I just want to be normal." Lately that statement comes with many tears and a husband looking at me consoling me with his actions but I know in his mind he's thinking, " I want you to be normal too!" Lol...it's funny, but it's not, well it really is pretty funny. I have said this in the past before I was even dealing with stuff in my body. When I was teenager, I never "fit in". I was always feeling like the misfit because I was beating to a different drum and I just wanted friends and wanted to be normal. There were times I didn't want to keep pressing into God as much as I was. I wanted to come out and be apart of the crowd. That way I wouldn't be such a target. My thought was, I could rest in the crowd, it would be easier. Thank God, He helped me see through that lie!

Here's the world's definition of "Normal" according to dictionary.com: conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

 Wow...conforming to the standard or the common type. So here's the question: What standard are you trying to live up to, what is common type to you? Obviously, I am asking these questions to myself to. 


I figured out the answer to that question a long time ago as a teen and that's why it was really hard, but now I am having to rediscover that standard and common type in regards to my health. How did I find the answer you might ask? You guessed it! The Word of God. It sets the standard and He is our common type, not anything else.What He says, is what goes. What He does, we should follow. There is no higher or better standard than this. This is the definition of normal for a child of God.


Here is God's definition of "Normal": Romans 8:28-31, " And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those He predestined, He also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. What, then, shall we say in response this? If God is for us, who can be against us?."

Normal is being conformed to the likeness of His Son. That's what He intended from the very beginning of time. If we conform to His likeness than we are like Him which means in every area of our lives our norm is everything He is! All of His promises. It's amazing how this translates to every single area of our lives. If it's health, finances, relationships...you name it. 

The only way to conform to Him is to know Him and we know Him how? Yes...His Word. So even though I have my very weak moments, because I am conforming to Him...His Word says I am strong. 
So let's get with it...the new normal or rather the right normal...I am normal despite what the world tries to put on me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment