Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Confidence vs. Confidence

Yes, you read the title right, no mistake. Let me explain. Confidence in God/His Word versus Confidence in the flesh. I am convinced this is the battle for all of us, everyday, no matter what our situation. The enemy is on a constant mission to get us to put confidence/trust in the flesh and Jesus is on a constant mission to get us to have confidence/trust in Him/His Word. They are both trying to romance us into their way of believing.

I have been reading in Philippians this morning and can I just say Paul came to life to me. I mean, I have always respected what God produced in and through him, but today, I feel like he is  sitting on my couch with me. I cannot even begin to compare myself to him and the great suffering and sacrifice he went through to advance the Kingdom of God, but right now I feel so close to his words in Philippians 3 as if they are my own.

Philippians 3:3-4, " For it is we who are the circumcision (spiritually purified), we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, AND WHO PUT NO CONFIDENCE IN THE FLESH - though I myself  have reasons for such confidence." I love that last line. It makes me feel like Paul had to fight as hard as I am right now to ignore the flesh. Paul chose everyday to put no confidence in the flesh and that's how he pressed forward and advanced the Kingdom of God in so many amazing ways.

1 John 5:14 + 15, " Now this is the CONFIDENCE THAT WE HAVE IN HIM, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him. " Ha! Every time I recite this scripture it makes God so accessible and His promises come to life and take hold of me. I have confidence in His Word that every promise about healing is mine, He is no respecter of persons, right? So I am confident those promises are for me. If I let myself have confidence in my flesh, well, let's just say if I want to keep pressing forward, it's not an option.

So it's one or the other...who is your confidence/trust in today? I can't go backwards, I have to keep pressing forward so I choose to put my confidence in Jesus, my Rock, my Redeemer...my Healer, who loves me more than I can even fathom. I write with tears just as Paul did in Philippians 3:18 where he said that many live their lives as enemies of the Cross. Please, please...don't do it, I beg of you, press into Him, have confidence in Him. You will see His Word come to life in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment